This Chicken Afritada is an aromatic and hearty tomato based stew that you’d want to make over and over again.
Lately I have been experimenting with making healthier versions of a few Filipino dishes that I grew up eating and between random scribbles on pieces of paper and relying on my memory to remember the exact measurements of each ingredient, I’ve finally decided that I will post them so that I can keep track of the substitutions I used!
The ingredients from the original recipe are almost gluten-free except for the red hotdogs, msg and soy sauce that are usually added. The key to making this flavorful is simmering the tomato sauce with bay leaves until the sauce is no longer tangy and almost reduces by half.
I ran out of sweet potatoes which I was planning to use instead of white potatoes but I loaded it with enough vegetables that it didn’t feel like it was missing anything!
- 1 tsp oil of your choice
- 1 lb chicken thighs cut into 2" pieces
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fish sauce adjust according to taste preference
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1-15 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 pieces bay leaves
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- freshly ground black pepper
Add oil to a pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and saute for 2-3 minutes until lightly seared.
Add garlic, onions and fish sauce. Saute until fragrant. About 1 minute.
Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
Stir in tomato sauce and bay leaves then reduce heat to low.
Cover the pot and simmer for at least 45 minutes until the sauce is no longer tangy.
Once the sauce has thickened, add the carrots, bell pepper and peas.
Season with black pepper and add more fish sauce if desired.
Cover and simmer some more until the vegetables are cooked.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Cook this in the All-Clad Prep & Cook appliance:
1. Place the Ultra blade attachment n the Prep & Cook. Add onion and garlic. Cover and pulse for 5-8 seconds.
2. Replace the Ultra blade with the Whisk attachment. Add oil, cover and press the Simmer button. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove the Whisk and add chicken pieces, tomato sauce, chicken broth, fish sauce and bay leaves. Cover and press the Simmer button. simmer for 45 minutes.
4. Add carrots and red bell peppers. Cover and press the Simmer button for 10 more minutes until the veggies are cooked.
5. Serve hot.